Essential tremor is a neurological disorder characterized by involuntary movement or shaking of a part of body, that gets worse while using the affected muscle of that part. Essential tremor mainly affects hands but head and tongue may also be affected in some cases. Essential tremors are most of the times inherited. The person suffering from essential tremors of hand feels a shaking of hands when using them while eating, dressing, writing or doing any other work with the hand. In case of essential tremors of head, involuntary motions of head are present like side to side motion or forward and backward motion. The essential tremors affecting tongue results in trembling of tongue and shaking of voice when speaking.Homeopathic medicines work very effectively in treating essential tremors . Long term use of homeopathic medicines can not only reduce the severity of tremors but also reduce the progression of tremors
Top Homeopathic Medicines for Essential tremors
1. Agaricus Muscarius: Homeopathic medicine Agaricus Muscarius is very efficient in treating the essential tremors. It can help in treating the essential tremors of hands as well as that of head and tongue. This medicine is mainly prescribed to those patients who complain of excessive trembling of hands in motion, especially while writing. This medicine can also prove very useful for patients who complain of shaking of hands when holding objects, often resulting in dropping of objects from hand. This medicine also gives good results in essential tremors of head where the shaking of head is accompanied by a feeling of excessive coolness on the head. The prominent feature guiding the use of this medicine in patients of essential tremors is a white coated tongue along with an increased thirst for water along with trembling of tongue. The trembling of tongue results in disoriented speech. Such patients may also have a sweet taste in their mouth. The patients requiring this medicine are very sensitive to cold air and the complaints are always worse in cold weather.
2. Gelsemium Sempervirens: Gelsemium Sempervirens is a natural homeopathic medicine used for treatment of essential tremors where the trembling of affected part is accompanied with excessive muscle weakness. The patient requiring this medicine always complains of profound dullness and drowsiness. This medicine works well in those cases where the tremors are intensified by emotional excitement or fears. It is recommended for essential tremors of tongue where the tongue is coated yellow with a bad taste in mouth. The breath of such patients can also be offensive. The thirst for water is always absent in patients requiring this medicine.
3. Zincum Metallicum: This homeopathic medicine is mainly used for persons who have very weak nerves and who are very sensitive to noise. It gives very good results in essential tremors of head where the head is in involuntary motion from side to side. The essential tremors of hands can also be treated with this medicine. The patients requiring this medicine in essential tremors of hand complain of jerking of hands with excessive weakness especially while writing. If a history of some sort of suppression of skin eruptions in a patient of essential tremor is present, this medicine is taken into consideration. The restlessness of feet in patients suffering from essential tremors is a significant deciding factor for using this medicine.
4. Phosphorus: Phosphorus is the next wonderful medicine used in homeopathy for treating essential tremors. This medicine suits mainly those patients of essential tremors who are extremely sensitive to external impressions like touch, light, odours and noise. The essential tremors of hands are very effectively treated with this medicine where the person complains of increase in the trembling of hands after exertion. The excessive shaking of hands poses a great difficulty in holding anything with hand. Numbness or crawling sensation in hands can also be complained of along with trembling of hands in such patients. An excessive craving for meat, cold drinks or ice creams may also be noticed in patients requiring this remedy.
5. Silicea: Silicea is yet another homeopathic remedy used for treating essential tremors in persons of nervous, irritable, obstinate and headstrong nature. The patients of essential tremors who have very offensive foot sweat respond very well to this medicine. Such patients are also very chilly and cannot tolerate a slight draught of air. The patients requiring this medicine complain of trembling of hands while performing manual work that especially includes eating, writing or holding anything. Such patients can also face difficulty in doing fine work due to excessive shaking of hands; for instance threading a needle appears to be a very cumbersome task for them.
Homeopathic medicines for Essential tremors of Hand
Plumbum Metallicum is a very good homeopathic medicine for treating essential tremors of hand that are a lot worse while holding an object, eating or writing. The tremors in patients requiring Plumbum Metallicum get worse due to worries. Gelsemium Sempervirens is the next very effective medicine and its use is recommended in the patients in whom excessive shaking of hands is worsened by fear or any other emotional excitement. Zincum Metallicum is yet another homeopathic medicine that can be prescribed to patients who complain of trembling as well as weakness of hands while writing. Homeopathic medicine Phosphorus works well where the shaking of hands is worse from exertion and is accompanied with numbness of hands.
Homeopathic Remedies for Essential tremors of Head
Agaricus Muscarius is a very effective homeopathic medicine for treating essential tremors of head where the involuntary shaking of head is accompanied by coldness in the head and the patient desires to cover up the head. Belladona is the next homeopathic medicine which can be given to those patients who complain of involuntary motion of head from side to side, along with hot and flushed face. If the involuntary shaking of the head is in the backward and forward direction, then the Homeopathic medicine Sepia Officinalis works effectively. The top of head is cold in such patients. Another homeopathic medicine Lycopodium Clavatum is used where the involuntary, causeless shaking of head is accompanied with dizziness. The motion of head in patients requiring Lycopodium Clavatum can either be from side to side or backward and forward.
Homeopathic medicines Lachesis Mutus, Mercurius Solubilis and Nux Moschata for Essential tremors of tongue and shaking of voice:
The first medicine Lachesis Mutus works very well in patients with dry, red and swollen tongue with excessive shaking. The shaking of tongue is worse when protruding it from mouth and it can be bitten off with teeth. The second medicine Mercurius Solubilis works well where the excessive trembling of tongue is accompanied by profuse saliva in the mouth. This makes speech very difficult and voice shaky. Nux Moschata works well for shaky voice in cases where the tongue feels numb and is very dry.
Essential tremor has a tendency to gradually get worse over the years. Eventually, the tremor may become so severe that accomplishing regular, everyday activities can prove difficult for the patient. For instance, activities such as writing, drinking a glass of water or tying shoelaces can become particularly challenging. The condition is common in men and women equally. It can affect people irrespective of age, although the odds for its occurrence go up with advancing age. Essential tremor is believed to run in families, with over fifty per cent people afflicted by it having a family member who also has it.